A Grade 2 Listed former engine shed and the adjacent office building are located close to the southern boundary of the new Waterside Campus of the University of Northampton, immediately north of the decommissioned railway in a substantially overgrown part of the site.
The buildings were built in 1873 and are now in a derelict state have suffered from exposure to the elements, a fire in 2000, water ingress and extensive plant growth within the building fabric.
Full Planning and Listed Building Consent was granted for the redevelopment of the buildings, as part of the wider Outline Application for the Waterside Campus Masterplan.
The buildings are located at the southern end of the strategic pedestrian and cycle link between the town centre and Delapre Abbey that is proposed as a key element that structures the wider redevelopment of the Avon Nunn Mills site. In addition, the buildings are an integral part of the University campus and are located adjacent to the proposed student residential development.
Various uses have been considered for the engine shed throughout the design development of the University’s wider campus Masterplan. There has been an overall need to secure a use that can be accommodated within the building but also fits in with the wider campus development, in order to ensure that the proposed use has long term prospects.