University of Northampton
location | Waterside Campus, Northampton year | 2018 value | £4m size | 500m2
A Grade 2 Listed former engine shed and the adjacent office building are located close to the southern boundary of the new Waterside Campus of the University of Northampton, immediately north of the decommissioned railway in a substantially overgrown part of the site.
The buildings were built in 1873 and were in a derelict state have suffered from exposure to the elements, a fire in 2000, water ingress and extensive plant growth within the building fabric. Full Planning and Listed Building Consent was granted for the redevelopment of the buildings, as part of the wider Outline Application for the Waterside Campus Masterplan.
The buildings are located at the southern end of the strategic pedestrian and cycle link between the town centre and Delapre Abbey that is proposed as a key element that structures the wider development of the campus.
Following an option appraisal the shed will create a new on campus ‘home’ for the Student Union incorporating clubs, societies, cafe and as a pastoral and social hub for students.
2019 Creative Re-use Award | Association for Industrial Archaeology